Guide for Removing Scratches from Wooden Furniture
Preserving the beauty of your furniture is essential for keeping the room presentable. No matter how expensive your piece of furniture is, scratches make it look badly maintained. Regular polishing is important for preserving the good condition of your sofa, but even if the damage is too serious, you should not give up. Instead, you can try the hacks below. They have repeatedly proven their effectiveness and the best of all is that each of these remedies is an inexpensive alternative to the expensive products available at the specialised stores. Before you try any of them, make an evaluation of how serious the scratch is and choose accordingly:
- If you have to deal with a minor scratch you had accidentally made while you cleaned the sofa, all you need to do is to make a solution of equal parts of lemon juice and vegetable oil. Alternatively, you can use olive oil, which is an excellent wood polishing product. Use a soft, clean cloth and apply a generous amount of the mixture on the scratched surface. It is important to note that you should rub in the direction of the scratch. You should also know that olive oil is a good moisturiser for your genuine leather couch. Don`t fail to provide the sofa with the essential moisture so the leather won`t start peeling off. If you combine that with professional sofa cleaning once or twice a year, your furniture will be at its top form for few more years.
- If you have to handle a more serious scratch, don’t forget to buy some nuts the next time you go to the grocery store. You have the freedom to choose between walnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts. They all do an excellent job when it comes to scratches removal. Use the meat of the nuts and firmly rub the damaged area. As already mentioned, rubbing in the direction of the scratch is critical of its complete removal.
- Coffee grounds can be used not only for refreshing your carpet but also for removing scratches from wooden surfaces. You have to be cautious not to make matters worse. That’s why you are advised to test this method on a small area first. Dip a cotton swab into the coffee grounds paste and apply on the surface. Wait a couple of hours and remove with a clean towel. If you notice a positive effect, you can proceed with treating a larger area.
- If you want to preserve the legs of your sofa and armchairs, you are recommended to place a carpet underneath so you don`t scratch the floor and the legs themselves. Yet, don`t neglect to clean your carpet as underneath your furniture a lot of dirt and dust are accumulating.
- If you consider a cup of black tea the perfect start of the day, then, you should definitely try the following trick. Rub the scratch with the teabag and quickly remove the excessive quantity of tea. Keep rubbing until the treated area matches the surface colour. If needed use more than one teabag.
- The following methods are suitable for removing small scratches. Make a trip to the nearest beauty store and find an eyebrow pencil that matches the colour of your wooden item of furniture. Alternatively, you can get a permanent marker or a pack of crayons from the bookstore.
- The shoe polish acts as a wonderful tool for removing scratches from wooden surfaces. You can use either the liquid form or the paste. Apply the shoe polish product to the scratched area with a suitable brush or a cotton swab.
- You must be familiar with the fantastic number of applications vinegar and olive oil has around the household. The combination of these two can make miracles with your scratched wooden surfaces as well. According to people who have already applied this method, it is more effective than the aforementioned walnuts trick. All you are supposed to do is to make a solution of equal parts of vinegar and extra virgin olive oil and apply on the surface.
- Damaged wood can be fixed with peanut butter. Apply some peanut butter on the surface and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then remove with a soft cloth and buff. Repeat the procedure if needed.
- If you have to fill a crack in the wood, you do not need anything else apart from mayonnaise. Take the jar out of the fridge and apply a generous amount on the damaged piece of wood. The oils mayonnaise contains will swell the wood and in a couple of days, you should notice a considerable difference.
- This method has its fans and opponents, so it is up to you whether to try it or not. Make a solution of equal parts of vinegar and orange oil and treat the wood. Let it sit for a few hours and remove with a slightly dampened sponge.
You don’t need any special skills to remove more or less significant scratches from your wooden furniture. Don’t hesitate to try these solutions before going to the home improvement store to get some grit paper or call a professional to fix the scratches for you. Of course, hiring someone to refinish the furniture is the easiest and the least time-consuming approach, but it is definitely not the most budget-friendly one.