Clean Your Summer Items
The nice warm weather is here and all of your summer essentials are on hand. As any other thing, you should sanitise them so bacteria are kept away from you and your loved ones. The list is long – bicycles, inflatable toys, gardening tools, your favourite leather shoes. What are the best ways to keep them fresh and cleaned? Check out our suggestions below:
- Inflatable toys – they can easily become mouldy or even degrade if chlorine and moisture linger. The eco-friendly and proven method of sanitising this water gear is to mix equal parts water and white vinegar and spray them – after that, rinse with clean water.
- If you come upon a mould stain, using a soft-bristle brush scrub the spot off and apply more vinegar if needed. After every use don`t forget to rinse them clean water – you can use the vinegar method once or twice a month. When it`s time to wrap them up for Winter, make sure you pack them fully dry – push out any water that is trapped inside. Storing them in a mesh bag in a cool dry place is recommended.
- Gas grill – the season of sizzling tastiness is here again. Make sure that you wipe it with a damp cloth after every use. In order to deep clean it you will need few rags, a brush, putty knife and soapy water. Make sure your grill is off and carefully remove the grates – clean them with the grill brush. Anything else covering the burners like ceramic briquettes or metal bars should be brushed clean. Check the burner tubes – they should be open and clean. What you should do next is to clean the lid and the bottom of the grill – if you see any debris and carbon flakes use the putty knife to scrub them off. The soapy water is your true assistant when dealing with the grease collection tray. Once you wipe down the exterior part of the grill you can put it back together and make the dinner!
- Sunglasses – they are the absolute essentials for Summer. You should know few things to keep them clean and their frames in good shape. First of all, the popular way of swiping your glasses over your shirt after you fog the lenses with your breath is not safest at all as you can cause scratches. Many people love wearing their sunglasses on top like a headband but this stretches the frame overtime. Carry your sunglasses in a case and use a microfibre cloth to wipe them clean. If there is sand on your sunglasses use compressed air to get it out of the crevices.
- Patio furniture – if you have a plastic set in your garden make sure you wipe it occasionally with a solution of mild dishwashing detergent and water. If you have wicker furniture, use a soft brush that is slightly dampened in oil-based soap and rinse with clean water afterwards. You are advised to do this twice a month in order to prevent from dirt buildups. For efficient cleaning of your patio cushions your local upholstery cleaners recommend using this homemade solution – mix 4 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and 5 – 6 drops of lemon essential oil. Dip a sponge in this mixture and wipe the cushions with it. Wipe again using only clean water.
- Bathing suit – rinse your bathing suit with cold water after each use and machine wash it every 5 wears. Spandex can easily sag and fade so you are advised to rotate your bathing suits so you don`t stretch them out so much. Unusually spandex needs a day to recover its elasticity. When you machine wash your bathing suit, use a plastic lingerie case to protect it.
- Beach chairs – the main reason why beach chairs get rusty is the salt water. In order to prevent this, make sure you rinse them with fresh water after each trip to the beach. If you want to take precautions, you can coat the frame with car wax so the salty water can`t get in direct touch with the material.
- Beach towels – washing your towels with half a cup of white vinegar in a hot cycle will get you rid of mould and mildew odours. For really bad smell, you can run a second cycle adding half a cup of baking soda. With the same ingredients, you can treat mould stains on the carpet. Before calling the professionals in carpet cleaning, sprinkle the spot with baking soda and spritz with white vinegar over it. Using a stiff brush, scrub the mould spot – both the stain and the mildew smell should be gone!
- Leather sandals – these comfy shoes are perfect for Summer. However, if you want to wear them every day, you should take care of them every day. After each use, dampen a soft sponge and remove oil and dirt residue to prevent your favourite sandals from discolouration. If you keep the plastic supports from the box you bought them with, tuck them back so they don`t lose their shape.
These are our tips and tricks on keeping your summer items on point the whole season. Follow them and you will prolong the life of your summer stuff.